Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Friday, March 18, 2016

Stitching Along

I snapped this shot of my sewing table earlier this week - looks like there's a lot going on!


Star blocks, four patches, purple and yellow scraps, even a pile of orange peels waiting to be stitched up for my Quilty 365 project.  I am definitely in the squirrel mode these days!

I finished my monthly goal of six 16 patch blocks this week -


I knew last week that I wanted to add some light blocks to the rest of my colors, and there they are!  It's fun to try a new layout with each new addition to the pile.


Somehow, a green block snuck its way in there - how did that happen?!  I must be ready for some green - both in my sewing and out in my yard!  Maybe in April?

I also added to my Double Four patch collection - 


I've been playing around with setting these blocks on point this week - but who knows what I will really end up doing with them.  They may not even end up all being in the same quilt.  Am I starting to see a little bit of a rainbow effect with each new block addition and layout?  Maybe! 


Maybe I will add some larger neutral blocks in with them before I am done.


Here and there you can see a bit of a pattern emerging, too.


I started making these as a way to use up smaller scraps, so I'll definitely continue that, and let the final layout sort itself out at the end of the year!

Hope you have had a fun week of sewing with your scraps!  Linking up to the Scrappy Saturday party at SoScrappy!


15 comments:

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Both sets of blocks are looking great! Isn't it fun to see them grow in size and color and to think about the quilt layout possibilities!

Sandra Walker said...

So much fun to just play no? Yep, rainbow effect is starting...

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Looks like you are having a lot of fun with these blocks!

Deb A said...

Looks like some fun blocks to play with. Love the blue and brown ones together.

Ivani said...

Great blocks and great fun playing with them. Happy Quilting day!

Sally Trude said...

It is fun to see a quilt change character as it grows and grows and adds new colors.

Peggyinno said...

Love the double 4 patch blocks. Those will make a very interestingly scrappy quilt!!

Angie said...

I love seeing all the fun things that can be done with simple blocks!

PaulaB quilts said...

Have fun playing with your block arrangements. You are right, the light ones bring a breath of fresh air. However, I'm sure a leprechaun must have snuck that green block in this week,

Nell's Quilts said...

So much fun playing with blocks as they emerge. There are some wonderful quilts designed purely spontaneously through play.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Your sewing table looks like you've been having TONS of fun!!

Cathy said...

That D4P gets a whole new look on point. Love it.

scraphappy said...

Playing with different layouts is always so much fun. Hope you find just the right one.

Linda said...

Loving the on-point! Your sewing table is huge.

gayle said...

Every month those 16 patches are going to be more fun to play with! By November you won't be able to stop arranging and rearranging them!
Your double 4 patches are really great on point. And I love how my eye keeps wanting to find patterns in the color and value interactions. I now know one of the ways I'm going to use some of the 4patches I've been making for leader/enders for the last year... 8)