Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Friday, September 2, 2016

A bit more purple and gray

My creative endeavors this week included a lot of this - not very inspiring or colorful to paint new cream- colored paint on top of old cream-colored paint, but has to be done now and then!


And a little of this - 


I had never gotten around to making any Double 4 patches in the August colors, so I decided to dig around for a few bits and pieces to make a couple.

In clicking around on some blogs this week, I found this interesting post from Michelle at From Bolt to Beauty where she describes pulling fabric for a quilt designed by Rachel at Stitched in Color, and called a Penny Patch Quilt.  She uses squares cut in 2", 3", and 6 1/2."  Although mine are cut at 2 1/2" and 4 1/2," I realized that I could create something similar with the addition of some 8 1/2" squares.

So I've been playing around with that idea this afternoon, and it is starting to look like this - 


This quilt is going to continue to evolve as I have moments to cut up the scraps and sew them back together again, but with my collection of double 4 patches in all colors of the rainbow, this could become a very Scrap Happy quilt!  





12 comments:

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

What a great idea! I love how your quilt is evolving.

Kate @ Smiles From Kate said...

Looks interesting, I love quilts that just evolve on their own, there is so much excitement about how they will turn out. It would make a great backdrop for appliqué too.

Pamela Arbour said...

That looks really nice. Isn't it amazing how some simple blocks can make such a pleasing quilt?

LA Paylor said...

hi Dianne
I can't finish out this year's scrap challenge, but I'm trying to get back to looking at what others are making. It's good to see what happens when you make blocks.

Katie Z. said...

I like your plan!

The Joyful Quilter said...

That's going to be a FABULOUS scrap quilt!!

Cathy said...

First, the painting. I had to chuckle when I saw that picture, because that 5-letter P word described my August. I thought the kitchen was totally done until one morning last week when I was feeding the cats and realized their little dish alcove was still yellow. Arrrgh! In two hours, both coats of white were done and NOW the kitchen is finished! I love your double four patches. The smaller blocks make it look a bit like an Irish Chain or a Trip around the World. Maybe a trip around the patch? Lol.

Deb A said...

I should start thinking of the dreaded painting in the house...but with an open layout you really have to do it ALL! I think I'll put it off and play with fabric instead. Love the direction your blocks are taking. So fun to design as you go.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Really like that Penny Patch idea!

gayle said...

Your double 4-patches are now triple 4-patches! It looks like a great idea for a quilt, and a ton of fun to play with, to boot! Enjoy!

scraphappy said...

Your four patches are coming together nicely. Good luck finishing up the painting. Always so nice to have everything fresh and clean!

Kate said...

What a fun block for a scrappy quilt. Hope you got some time this week to play with it a little more.