Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Wednesday, May 17, 2017

I Like Thursday #30 - Exploring

My husband and I like exploring new places.  When we were given the opportunity to stay in a relative's home in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, we welcomed the chance to visit a state we'd never been to before.

There are so many things we liked about visiting South Carolina.  Of course, putting my toes in the Atlantic Ocean was high on my list!


I like finding treasures on the beach, too.  There was someone living in this shell, so I put him back after we took this picture!


I like seeing animals that are unusual back where I live!  These swans live at Swan Lake Iris Gardens in Sumter, South Carolina.  If you look closely, by the feeder, you'll see baby swans!


Although I have never been on a cruise, I like riding in boats! This little tour took us out to an island where we could walk the beach and look for shells.  Along the way we learned a lot about the history of the area (especially the rice plantations) and saw bald eagles and alligators that live on the barrier islands.


I like seeing different kinds of architecture, especially in old and historical Charleston.


And the beautiful wrought iron fences and gates.


I especially loved the Live Oaks - the big oak trees you see in the south.  I learned that they are evergreen oaks, and don't lose their leaves like other kinds of oaks do.  Their strong, curving, and low-hanging branches were once used in ship-building for the curved parts of the hull.  (I never knew that before!)


I even like doing touristy things once in awhile.  We walked on the boardwalk in Myrtle Beach and even rode the Sky Wheel, a big ferris wheel with enclosed gondolas.  We got a great view of the beach from up so high!


And we rode in a horse-drawn wagon around historical Charleston.  That was a lot of fun!


The end of vacation is both sad and happy - I was sad it was over, but happy to come home.  And I really like coming home!

Happy Thursday, friends!  I'm joining in with the I Like Thursday crew over at Not Afraid of Color.  See you there!

  







11 comments:

Vicki in MN said...

I would love to visit the Carolina's some day too! I hear you about the sad but happy part, except for when we were camping last sumnmer-neither of us wanted to go home!

Linda said...

I would love to go there! I've always wanted to visit Charleston. Loved the swans.

LA Paylor said...

oh Charleston and Savannah. Love love love.
The food and history and architecture. Love.
Do you watch Southern Charm on Bravo? Fun to see.
LeeAnna

Mary in Peoria Handmade said...

What a great trip! Thank you for sharing such unusual info and great photos of a place I've never been. mary in Az

Michele McLaughlin said...

Wonderful post! Makes me want to go to South Carolina!!! Love love that photo of the gate! Hugs and have a great week~!

margaret said...

looks a lovely place for holiday

PaintedThread said...

Looks like a fun trip. Sea, shells, wrought iron. All good stuff!

Shannon said...

the baby swans are so cute! I don't think I've ever seen any before. And I also love walking with my feet in the ocean. Even if it's cold!

Christine B said...

Lovely post! This looks like a beautiful place to visit! Have a nice weekend! Christine x

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Wonderful holiday and sight seeing! The Atlantic Ocean in my home province of Newfoundland is quite cold...hard to believe it is the same ocean! But beaches are always special. I'm envious you got see baby swans...I would love to see them.

Kate said...

Looks like a great place to visit. Our rule of thumb for the last few vacations is it has to be someplace we've never been before. It's a lot of fun to see new places.