I've made a couple of drawstring bags before, using this tutorial by Jenny of In Color Order. I thought I could probably use that tutorial again as a guideline, but change up the size and shape a bit to fit what Mike needed.
Of course, the first thing I did was hunt around in my fabric stash to see if I had something that would work. I knew I needed an outer, main fabric, and something for the lining. Here is what I came up with - a couple of pieces of Comma, by Zen Chic for Moda.
I decided to cut my pieces 11 inches x 7 inches to allow for the seam allowances and space for the drawstring.
I added some fusible fleece to the wrong side of the outer fabric to give the bag some stability.
Following the guidelines of the tutorial, I laid out the pieces to get them ready to sew in this way -
short end to short end, with the outer fabric in the middle and the lining fabric on either end. I sewed each of those short seams, then sewed everything into a tube, right sides together, leaving an opening for turning, and two openings to make a casing for the drawstring.
I decided to box the bottom corners just a little bit -
and stitched an inch wide casing all the way around to pull some ribbon through for the drawstring.
And voila! My idea worked!
My husband is pleased with the results, too! I really enjoyed the process of figuring out what would work and making something useful for him!
Sharing at Sandra's DrEAMi linky at mmm! quilts - because this is definitely a Drop Everything and Make It kind of project,
and at Cynthia's Oh Scrap! linky at at Quilting is More Fun than Housework because I love making all kinds of things out of my scraps!