Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Friday, August 11, 2017

Low Volume Bowties

I've been using a lot of low volume fabrics as background fabrics for the various Rainbow Scrap Challenge
blocks I've been making this year.  I like the detail they add to a scrappy quilt, very different from using one constant background fabric.


So, using a low volume or neutral fabric as the star of the block sounded challenging to me!  What would you use for the background fabric so that there was enough contrast?

This week I pulled out a few low volumes to play with and decided to make some more bow tie blocks.


What seems to work for me is using a brighter white for the background so it stands apart from the neutral of the bow tie pieces.


These were relaxing and enjoyable to work on!  I like them mixed in with the more colorful blocks, too. There are 24 bow ties in my collection now - a long way from a quilt, but I'm not in a hurry.


Looking forward to seeing how other Rainbow Scrap Quilters have used their low volume fabrics this week at ScrapHappy Saturday, over at SoScrappy.





16 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I love Bow Tie blocks and love the use of neutrals also - only problem is I have used so many neutrals lately I really need to replenish the stack

Marly said...

The neutral bow ties fit in nicely, Diann. It looks like you solved the contrast dilemma.

Linda said...

I've not made a bow tie - looks like fun! I like the neutrals, and great tip on using a brighter white.

Michele McLaughlin said...

Very nice! I enjoyed your post!

Cathy said...

You're right that the neutral bow ties look good in the mix! See what being adventurous gets you?!? LOL? xo

PaulaB quilts said...

The neutrals do add a nice variety to the total mix. Keep up the good work!

Edith said...

I think the neutrals are a nice addition to your bow ties, they will make the other colours sing.

sonja said...

i also like using white on white/natural/tea stained/painted lightly, neutrals as contrast for prints/batiks/hand painted fabrics. The bow ties you made are charming!

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

they won't work for what I am doing but yours look great :)

The Joyful Quilter said...

Awesome job working those LIGHT NEUTRAL scraps into your Bow Tie blocks!! My plan is somewhat the same, but unlike you, I found other projects to occupy my time this week. Happy quilting!

Ariane said...

You did a great job with your low volume blocks. They go well with the coloured blocks!!

Deb A said...

Love how your bow tie blocks turned out! Those will add such a nice touch to your bow tie quilt.

scraphappy said...

The lights add a nice sparkle to your block collection.

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

I love love love those light blocks among your color blocks. I might have to add a few to my own stack of blocks!

Vicki in MN said...

I think you pulled it off and the ticket was to use a bright white. They look really nice mixed in with the whole lot of bow ties.

Kate said...

The neutral bow tie blocks turned out beautifully. The fit right in with all the other bright blocks. Happy stitching this week.