Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Sunday, September 14, 2014

A Study in Green

Back in July, I started  a scrappy quilt inspired by Cyndy at Quilting is More Fun Than Housework.  I have been following her Scrap-a-Palooza series all year, and this is the third quilt I have made based on her ideas.

I love scrappy quilts and was looking for better ways to have my scrappy quilts come together with a theme. Although I have a lot of scraps, they don't come in great big chunks, so designing a scrappy quilt around a theme seemed challenging at first.  But, it has been great fun and also a chance to practice different kinds of quilting.

My Rainbow Bars Quilt:

Then Honey Honey Bricks:

And, finally a finish for a Study in Green:

This quilt is inspired by Cyndy's July quilt, although it really evolved from my original idea, and looks nothing like what her finished quilt looks like!  I started by sorting through my green scraps and figuring out a gradation from dark to light.

I also added some Kona Maize to break up all the green and then cut each large block in half lengthwise.  In the process of trying different layouts for these long, thin blocks, I ended up putting them all together, without any sashing, and ended up with this:

It took awhile for me to get back to this quilt, but as I kept looking at it, I felt like it needed "something" to perk it up.  I ended up adding borders from my stash of Hello Sunshine from Connecting Threads.  The blue background with leaves of orange, white, and green  really made a difference and I have ended up being really happy with the outcome.


To quilt this one, I used an idea from Petit Design Co's 31 Days of Walking Foot Quilting series called Topography.  It turns out that this quilt really reminds me of beautiful, green fields, and the quilting I added made me think of a topographical map!  Fun!


The backing and binding is a marble-y green from Hobby Lobby in a pretty shade that I thought really added to the finish.  The finished quilt measures about 32 1/2" by 41."


Thanks, again, Cyndy, for your inspiration!  I'm having so much fun trying different color combinations, design ideas, and ways of quilting.

3 comments:

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Your Study in Green looks fantastic. I love your final layout! And the blue border is brilliant. It really frames it up nicely.

It is also great to see your other quilts again. They are all so pretty. Happy to see you are enjoying getting those scraps sewn up!

Lisa in Port Hope said...

It's great that you could take the idea and make it your own using your scraps. Wonderful finished!

Wendy said...

what lovely quilts. All scrappy but all so different in style!