Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Sunday, June 21, 2015

Progress and a Pyramid Pouch

With my Scrap Vortex blocks, I am making slow progress, but definitely having fun!

Week one:

Week Two:


Today:


For this project, I really need a design wall in my sewing room so that I can keep the blocks up all the time and work on how they will fit together.  That will require some furniture moving and figuring out!  

This week, I have also been working on a Pyramid Pouch, and just finished it up this morning! 


For the last couple of years, I have had fun trying different types of pouches and bags, so when I saw that Sandra of Musings of a Menopausal Melon had published her pattern and tutorial for the Pyramid Pouch on Moda Bake Shop, I knew I wanted to try it!  Working with equilateral triangles was a good stretch for my sewing skills, and although my points aren't as perfect as I would like them to be, I'm not disappointed in my work, for this first time!


I used 16 charm squares from a charm pack of One for You, One for Me by Pat Sloan for Moda for the outside.  I chose the navy, teal, and lime pieces because I thought they would go well together and give my pouch a happy look!  Unfortunately, the lime color didn't photograph quite right for this close-up.  For the pouch lining, I used a lime fat quarter from my stash.


Sandra's tutorial was very clear with lots of helpful hints on how to make the pouch turn out exactly the way you want. (Which I am sure I followed perfectly..wink, wink!)  There is definitely plenty of room for whatever you want to carry in this pouch.  I think I might use it to house all of those pesky cords and things you have to take along when you travel!


Now it's time for me to get back to work on one of my bigger WIPs.  But pouches and scrappy sewing are a fun break now and then!







7 comments:

Sandra Walker said...

YaHOO!!! Thank you thank you so much for making this, for writing about it, and for the nod to my pattern! :-) The fabric choices are just perfect, and yes, what a great place to keep those pesky cords. Thank you again; this made my day! :-)

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Looks like you are having fun with the scrappy vortex blocks ... do you have a colour scheme in mind, or it it random? Very cute - and handy- pouch!

gayle said...

That's such a happy looking pouch! Love it!
I don't have a design wall either, but luckily I can use my 'design floor' and just leave it... 8)

Claire said...

Design wall, yep. I have a portable one and took it down for company. I keep thinking I'll not put it up while quilting, but I keep getting new ideas for tops insetad of doing the quilting. Scrap Vortex looks like a lot of fun. To visit, copy and paste knitnkwilt.wordpress.com

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Great job on Sandra's pouch. It is very cute! Keep up the progress on the scrap vortex - mine is going to cover the state of Oregon! Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

Lara B. said...

You did a beautiful job on your pyramid pouch Diann! I like your fabric choices. As i was reading, I though "Ohhhh, I hope Sandra sees this!" and voila, she did.
The scrappy vortex looks fun! One way I do a temporary design wall is to tack a fleece blanket up on the wall. It works really well and the tacks don't leave big holes once the blanket is taken down.

Jasmine said...

Your scrap quilt is looking great! Someday I may make one like that. And your pouch is bright a fun. Great job!