Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Monday, January 18, 2016

Prince Charming's Pillow

Last week, I spent some time sorting the Tula Pink Prince Charming scraps that Cynthia sent me back in December.  Just playing with them and inspecting them up close was fun because I've never owned any Tula Pink fabric before, and it is gorgeous and full of lots of fun details.  I noticed that she had sent me a lot of strings, and decided I wanted to play with some string blocks.



After I had made four of them, I could see they would make the perfect pillow for my living room couch, so I sashed and bordered them in some Kona Navy that I had, and went to work quilting .


I decided this would be a good project to practice some of the different kinds of quilting designs that I can do with my walking foot, so I stitched something different in each square, using the spool of medium teal Aurifil that came in my lovely care package from Cynthia.  It is perfect with this fabric!  So pretty!

A square spiral...


Zigzags...


and Half circles... 


were three of the designs I tried.

To make the back of the pillow, I always use Crazy Mom Quilts' Envelope Backing tutorial, and this time I even made my own pillow form to stuff it with!  So simple... I cut a piece of muslin that was the same width as my pillow, plus a 1/4 inch seam allowance, and twice as wide.  I folded it over and stitched up all the open sides leaving about a 5 inch opening for turning, and then I stuffed it with fiberfill (which I have a big bag of from another project where I only needed a little!) until it felt just right.  Very scientific!  It turned out to be perfect and much less expensive than buying a ready-made pillow form!

Linking up with Sew Cute Tuesday today!


8 comments:

Afton Warrick said...

Prince Charming? Swoon! The pillow was the perfect project for small scraps and free motion exploration. Please join my linky @ http://quiltingmod.blogspot.com/2015/12/lessons-learned-linky-1.html.

Christine B said...

What a beautiful pillow! Love the fabrics and the way you have quilted it is fabulous! Christine x

Alison V. said...

This is adorable! Thanks for sharing at Sew Cute Tuesday!

Linda said...

How beautiful! Love the colors on your sofa. On the zig-zag did you have to lift, turn, and go a different direction with each zig (or zag)?

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

It looks great! I am so happy you were able to use the scraps. It is always fun to see what others do with a bag of fabric. I love the zig zag and circle quilting!

Ruth said...

very nice - like the different quilting. I had a layer cake of prince charming and its almost gone now - love that frog!

Sandra Walker said...

Absolutely LOVELY cushion!! I did not know I loved Tula Pink fabrics until I bought that fated kit from the Quilt Sampler magazine...had never heard of her...aren't they scrumptious? As for making your own pillowform, genius. I, however, found out I have a plethora of ugly cushions around the house, just begging for a dressing up...which I am, at present, doing! Might have to copy your string pillow idea as I have a plethora of those, too!

June D said...

What a nice project done with beautiful fabrics too! Glad I came by!