Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Sunday, June 12, 2016

Scrappy Zipper Pouch

I have had a lot of fun making different kinds of zippered pouches the last few years.  Although I'm not a zipper expert by any means, I'm getting a lot better at them!  Here are three of my favorites made in 2015.











So, when I saw that Preeti, who blogs over at Sew Preeti Quilts, had posted a tutorial for a different zipper pouch than I had made before, I knew I had to try it!  Preeti calls it the Simplest Zippered Pouch, so that told me I could do it, even though I still have a very stiff wrist and can only sew a little bit at a time before it gets mad at me!  (I started my therapy last week, and I'm doing my exercises, I promise!)

I also wanted to make something more with my Caribbean Blue scraps (see yesterday's post)!  I started with a larger piece of the ocean blue - cut 11 x 6.5.  I bordered that with two pieces of the sunset blue - cut 11 x 2.5.  I layered that piece with a scrap piece of batting and a piece for the backing cut from the sunset blue also.




I quilted it with some simple lines, according to Preeti's example!  Then she gives excellent directions for putting in the zipper, and how to sew up the sides so that the pouch lays kind of flat and the zipper is on the front.  I love this!  It's completely different from any of my other pouches.


Looks like it will be perfect for carrying some sewing supplies if I happen to be taking them somewhere!


If you're needing some more scrappy inspiration, check out Oh Scrap! over at Quilting is More Fun than Housework! 



8 comments:

Libby in TN said...

Nice finish. I've ordered some zippers-on-a-roll so I can try my hand at pouches. Thanks for the tip on Preeti's tutorial.

Christine B said...

What a beautiful little pouch... may have to add one to my very long 'to make' list! Thank you for the links! Happy Sunday! Christine x

Jenny said...

That's lovely - just adore the colours you've chosen for this pouch!!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Thanks for sharing Preeti's tutorial. I am hoping to sew up some pouches this summer. Great to see you on Oh Scrap!

gayle said...

Pouches are such fun to make! Yours is beautiful and looks like a really handy size, so a double win!

Vicki in MN said...

That's very cute! We never seem to have enough pouches do we, or don't tire of making them either.

Preeti said...

Oh thank you Diann, for the endorsement. There is no greater accomplishment than realizing that my tutorial was helpful to you. Your acknowledgement makes me feel warm & fuzzy.
Hugs,
Preeti.

Sandra Walker said...

A girl can never have too many pouches, and I know I wanted to try Preeti's when I saw her post; you've reminded me to do it! So SO HAPPY that one of your three favourites for 2015 was my Pyramid Pouch, aww! Thank you! Now I'm trying to find your geese tabletopper which is how I landed here lol!