Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Friday, November 11, 2016

More with Rainbow Log Cabins

Earlier this year, I started making log cabin blocks with the idea of using up some of my string scraps, but without needing to do a lot of cutting and measuring.  I had broken my wrist, but still wanted to sew so I thought these would be easy blocks to make.  


The only measuring I really did was to square each block up to 12 1/2 inches when it was big enough.  I made nine of these blocks, in all the colors of the rainbow, as well as pink, turquoise, and a black and white one.  


Then they sat for awhile!

This week I decided it was time to do something with these blocks, so I stitched them together and began to add a 6 inch border all the way around to bring up the size of this quilt to about 48 inches square.


Of course, then came the "Hmmm, what if???"  What if I added 6 inch cornerstone log cabins in each corner before finishing up the border?

So, I made four smaller log cabin blocks - 


added them to each end of the top and bottom borders - 


and finished it up!


I love the scrappiness of this little quilt top!  It has birds, leaves, bicycles, Christmas fabric, and batiks. Flowers, stripes, apples, polka dots.  Grapes, stars, and spools of thread.  You name it!  It will make a fun "I Spy" quilt for a little one somewhere!   

I'm hoping to venture into the world of hand quilting with this quilt.  I haven't done much of that, and I know there are many ways to approach it.  I'm off to watch some YouTube videos that will show me how to get started!

Sharing over at SoScrappy for ScrapHappy Saturday.




13 comments:

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

This looks great. So colorful! And the pieced cornerstones are a perfect addition.
:)

claudia said...

Very cute quilt!

margaret said...

your log cabin blocks have worked so wel and the mini cornerstones ones give it a loverly finish, well done sewing these with a broken wrist. I struggle with the accuracy needed for log cabins but have discovered a ruler that you use after each rond so maybe I will get one for Christmas

Linda said...

I love log cabins and especially scrappy rainbow ones! Your mini log cabins are so cute and just the right addition. I learned to hand quilt back in 1983 but my goodness I'm not sure I could do it now! Good luck. :)

LA Paylor said...

Nice

Kate said...

A fun and colorful quilt. It will be a great snuggle for a little one.

Cathy said...

Log cabins are one of my favorite blocks, and this quilt just melts my heart!. So cheerful! Good for you trying something new with hand quilting. I hope it doesn't bother your wrist. Keep us posted!

The Joyful Quilter said...

AWESOME baby quilt!! LOVE the whimsy added by those scrappy cornerstones, too.

Angie said...

I love log cabin quilts, so seeing yours was a treat! You can't go wrong with scrappy!

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

This is so cute. I have yet to make a log cabin quilt...I should at least do a pillow cover or something!

I like the corner block idea on this one too.

PaulaB quilts said...

A great use of your time with your injured hand and a lovely finish. The corner blocks are just the thing. Lots of luck with the hand quilting.

Vicki in MN said...

Very colorful! I should try this method sometime:-) I sure have lots of strings to do it with! I am so excited to be almost free from craft shows for a while so I can do whatever I want for a couple months!!

Deb A said...

Very nice! Love how you added the logs in the corners. So bright and cheerful.