Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Wild Thing - an Improv Sampler

I took a leap of faith back in February, and joined in with the Play Improv Quilt Along over at Elm Street Quilts, and I'm so glad I did!  I tried a bunch of different techniques, struggled a little bit, and learned a lot!

From the beginning, Patty told us that this QAL was about playing with color, shape, and fabric, but without a pattern or rules.  That made this quilt along fun, because everyone followed it in their own way.

Earlier this week, I finished up my quilt top for this quilt along - it measures about 30 x 33.


I've taken to calling it Wild Thing - because it really is about the wildest thing I've ever made!

Some favorite parts - 

all the different ways to make triangles!

an improv quarter log cabin, that I stuck in because I needed something there!

curved piecing, letters, a word!

I quilted it with horizontal curved lines, very simple, but going along with the modern feel of this quilt.  The binding is Kona Pool.


Today, my Play Improv Sampler, Wild Thing, is done!  I took it out in the backyard for some photo ops - 


Love this one!


Thanks, Patty, for hosting this great QAL!  I'm already thinking about what improv kind of sewing I might like to try next!  

The final link-up for finished Play Improv projects is happening right now, over at Elm Street Quilts, so I'll be linking up there to share this Wild Thing!

Also sharing at Needle and Thread Thursday at My Quilt Infatuation.













11 comments:

Jan @Cocoa Quilts said...

Great job Diann. It is bright and cheery, way out of my comfort zone too. Glad you took the leap. It looks great.

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

You really did a great job on this one Diann. I love the colors and the wonderful shape!

margaret said...

all the blocks have gone together so well and you now have a wonderful quilt

Vicki in MN said...

It is very bright and cheery, you already know how much I enjoyed your weekly progress. So of course I love the finished product:) My 2 favorite parts are that left curvy border and the flying geese.

Patty said...

This came out wonderful! The pictures really reinforce the playfulness of the whole QAL too! Thanks for being part of the QAL!

Alison V. said...

This is SO cool! I love all of the bright colors. :)

Jayne said...

You did it! And it turned out great! Your colors for this little quilt are perfect! Congrats!

gayle said...

This is so full of fun! I'm glad you joined this QAL and shared your adventures - I've really enjoyed seeing every step you've taken! You've taken two things (working in solids and doing improv) that are outside my realm of experience and made them absolutely fascinating. Thank you!

Kate said...

Love the name, it's perfect. It's such a bright and happy quilt.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

I just spotted your improv over at NTT ... it really is wonderful! Love the colours and your curved lione quilting! I have yet to make an all-solid quilt!

Danice G said...

I absolutely love this quilt. Everything about it is perfect!